Friday, April 8, 2011

N is for Newt…day 1

For whatever reason “N” lesson plans weren’t coming easy for me. I was struggling with fun and exciting things to teach and occupy the kids for 2 1/2 hours. BUT, I think I did it, and I think they had a perfect day.

(my camera wasn’t working for the first part of preschool, so sorry there are no pictures)

First…I am amazed at how quickly the kids are learning The Pledge of Allegiance. For the most part they have it learned. There are a few lines that they get confused on, and a few words that they don’t pronounce correctly, but I am betting within the next month they will be able to say it by themselves perfectly! I am so impressed.

The same thing goes for the Days of the Week song we sing, and the Months of the Year song as well. They are some smart little cookies.

I get excited to introduce my little friends each week. This week was no exception, although he did require a little more explaining.

“I have a friend who has come a long, long way to say hello to us today! Would you like to meet him?” They all get so excited at this point, it darling.

“He starts with the letter N. He is green. He rhymes with boot. He can live in the water or on land. He looks like a lizard…” and so on, and so on.

This was hard, so they didn’t guess NEWT, but had fun trying to figure it out.  They each got to draw the letter N on the board, and then trace it on their papers. Then they were able to draw a Newt. I can’t believe the little artist that I have. WOW!!! They are amazing.

Craft time is one of the most wonderful time of the day for the kids. They look forward to it, and of course snack time. Today we made Noodle N’s. They got to lay large noodles over the paper N, and then paint them. Addi colored her whole N purple, and Deegan colored his green…all the other kids did multicolored N’s. They were great at sharing and using please and thank you when they wanted a color the other kid had.

I had to get a little creative for our snack today. I like it to be something that reflects the letter we are learning. N…hmmmm, nothing was really jumping out at me…THEN IT DID!!! We made N shaped breadsticks. THEY LOVED IT!!! Emma flattened her breadstick out so thin, that she had a crunchy N.  They were a huge hit, both in design and taste.

preschool...N 004

preschool...N 008 preschool...N 009

While the breadsticks were cooking we had Story time. We read a book called “My ‘n” Sound Book.” It is a cute little book about nuts, nightingales, nests, nickels, the number nine…all sorts of things in this world that start with the letter N.

Then I was going to read a book about Sharing, as part of our Life Skills portion of class, but Emma picked out one of my favorite Christmas books called “Humphry’s First Christmas.” This is a great book about sharing everything we have with. Very fitting. I highly recommend this book.  

preschool...N 007

I just have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying myself with the kids. I love each and every one of them. It excites me to show them new things. I admire there ability to learn and grow, and accept help when needed. They are so eager to please,  both themselves and me. I look forward to the days they get to come over. I am still learning how to do a preschool, and I can’t express to you enough how much I appreciate you allowing me to teach your little ones.

I love Deegan, Bridger, Emma, Taylor, and Addisyn so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment