Sunday, April 10, 2011

D is for DINOSAUR

Today was really a fun day. I was real excited to have preschool today. When I find a fun idea, or come up with something creative I get like a kid in a candy store, and can’t wait to show the kids what we are going to do. I have really been trying to get them to understand “If today is Tuesday..” What was Yesterday, and what is tomorrow…I think they are starting to understand that, and it makes me happy. It has seemed to be something very confusing to learn, and understand.

First things first…We have to learn the letter D. We talk about things that start with the letter D, and how important it is to know that letter. Deegan was excited that it was “his” letter today. Everyone gets a turn to write the uppercase and lowercase letters on the board.

064061062065066

Then it is time for the worksheet…I don’t think this is their favorite part, but an important one!

067

After the worksheet I talked to them about Dinosaurs and explained that they lived on earth a long time ago, and after they died they became fossils. We read a book Called “My Visit to the Dinosaurs” by Aliki.  I gave each of them a glob of salt dough and told them to use their imaginations and create a dinosaur out of their dough. Some of them really enjoyed the less organized activity, some said they just couldn’t do it! BUT, all of them had fun creating a dinosaur of their own.

069070071075074

WOW!!! Don’t they look amazing. Some of them had wings, some had lots of hair, some had spikes…the options were endless. I LOVE imaginations…and each of these kids have fantastic imaginations.

After they made their dinosaurs “they died” and we made fossils. I thought this was so fun, and exciting. Most of them did as well, and were excited to see what would happen.

079080081082083

084

Then it was time for snack. Deegan was in charge today and brought pudding…HUGE HIT!!! They loved it…

085

(they were all saying “Thanks Deegan” in this picture…cute huh?

We read a cute little book titled “A Dinosaur called Tiny” by Alan Durant. It was such a cute little book. I tired to teach the kids this little song…

I’m a mean old Dinosaur (Tune: I’m a little Tea Pot)

“I’m a mean old Dinosaur

Big and Tall

Here is my tail, here is my claw.

When I get all hungry

I just growl

Look out kids I’m on the prowl.”

They were getting pretty rambunctious, and I am not sure how much they learned of it, but they thought it was pretty cute.

Then it was time to make Shape-a-sorous…the Dinosaur…

068

086

They had a great time cutting and gluing shapes on to their dinosaur.

It was a fun and fantastic day.

I love these kids all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment